Share |

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Paradise Privatized



President Yushchenko: I don’t want the sale of oblenergos [regional electricity companies] to be bound by the shadowy special-interest agreements of a certain political power regarding the distribution of equity to specific persons.

Premier Tymoshenko: We agreed that the government has to provide the President with a full explanation regarding the privatization of oblenergos.

Interviewer: Have you received tips on this?
President Yushchenko: I have received tips on this — that the so-called privatization of oblenergos may put Ukraine through a blowout sale of oblenergos to certain “votes,” so that they will vote as somebody says. I’m worried about this. Unfortunately, I do have such tips. And I will act on them. When push comes to shove, my response will be rapid. But for now, I only have this warning to make: I’m in the know. I have my grapevine. And I will firmly stand my ground on us not having the sale of Ukraine, but on having a well-designed privatization of said entities.

In this “who’s who” segment, Tymoshenko gets painted as Eve by someone who resents playing Adam.

It takes a watchful eye to help Eve resist being tempted by the Serpent of Stabilnist. It also takes courage for Adam to admit the fact that evil spirits live on both sides of the story. Otherwise, we end up with a rather one-sided version of original sin.

Video uploaded from:
http://censor.net.ua/go/offer/ResourceID/74586.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's troublesome that Tymoshenko wants her own lawyer appointed to the government as privatization director, even if he does supposedly know all the ins-and-outs of privatization.

Taras said...

One can’t help but notice the Cold War raging on between Yushchenko and Tymoshenko.

It’s the same old tug-of-war thing we witnessed in 2005/06, and it’s sickening. Still, their keeping each other in check may actually keep a lid on Kuchma-style privatization practices.

I hope that the pressures of the looming presidential campaign will hold them to Krivorizhstal-2005, not Krivorizhstal-2004, standards.

Olha Pryymak said...

Sigh, it will be interesting what this relationship will evolve into

Taras said...

It's a rocky relationship, isn't it:)?