Share |

Monday, December 31, 2007

The Auld Lang Syne of Dressing Up for Winter Holidays

Under the atheist canon of the Soviet era, New Year was the holiday, with Christmas celebrated unofficially in rural areas only.



MP Hanna Herman, PRU: My first New Year costume was that of a comet.

MP Alla Alekasndrovska, KPU: I had sweets in my hands, my crown was the shape of a sweet too, and with great delight I was a sweet.

Unidentified Orange MP: You’re going to be surprised, but I was nonstandard...um...I was a Ukrainian.

Irena Kilchytska, Deputy Mayor of Kyiv: One of the brightest experiences I recall was being a Gypsy. I was in grade three. I neither wanted to be a snowflake nor a bunny.

MP Volodymyr Yavorivsky, BYuT: I neither was a bunny nor a runny, nor a wolf. Once we went there, we dressed up: I was Karl Marx I had some book tucked under my arm that had Capital written on it. They fixed me a beard.

MP Mykola Tomenko, BYuT: As to an ani…animal outfit, I never appeared in one, as a rule.

MP Volodymyr Sivkovych, PRU: Well, I definitely never was a bunny.

MP Oleh Zarubinsky, LyB: I was a rabbit, in terms of the Chinese calendar. I have a picture where I’m dressed in a costume, in the white costume of a rabbit.

Viktor Yanukovych, opposition leader: There were no fancy toys, no outfits for me to put on. We lived very poorly.

Viktor Yushchenko, President of Ukraine: I remember how my mother woke me up early in the morning after New Year when it was time to go caroling, so that I would tour my relatives door-to-door.

Watching this bittersweet video made me feel like sining Michael Jackson's "Childhood":

Have you seen my Childhood?
I'm searching for the world that I come from
'Cause I've been looking around
In the lost and found of my heart...
No one understands me
They view it as such strange eccentricities...
'Cause I keep kidding around
Like a child, but pardon me...

People say I'm not okay
'Cause I love such elementary things...
It's been my fate to compensate,
for the Childhood
I've never known...

Have you seen my Childhood?
I'm searching for that wonder in my youth
Like pirates in adventurous dreams,
Of conquest and kings on the throne...

Before you judge me, try hard to love me,
Look within your heart then ask,
Have you seen my Childhood?

People say I'm strange that way
'Cause I love such elementary things,
It's been my fate to compensate,
for the Childhood I've never known...

Have you seen my Childhood?
I'm searching for that wonder in my youth
Like fantastical stories to share
The dreams I would dare, watch me fly...

Before you judge me, try hard to love me.
The painful youth I've had

Have you seen my Childhood...


Happy New Year everyone! Thank you for reading, thank you for lurking, and thank you for commenting:)!

Video uploaded from: http://censor.net.ua/go/offer/ResourceID/72476.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing a great job!

keep up the good work in this coming year and may it prove to be a happier new year for you and your country.

dlw

Bravecat said...

Heeeeeeey!

Happy New Year!!!

;-)

Taras said...

Thank you, David! Thank you, Cat!

May 2008 prove to be a happier year for you, too:)!

Gabriela said...

Although this was posted some months ago, I guess it's never late for commenting.
I suppose many people in the ex Sovietic countries share those views depicted here. I lived my childhood in a military dictatorship and my teen years amidst incomprehensible terrorism, and even though I´m aware it's way different, I kind of understand those bittersweet memories.
Regards from Peru!