Share |

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Yushchenko, Yanukovych Celebrate Theophany

Ice swimming plays a central role in traditional Ukrainian Vodokhreshcha (Theophany) celebrations.


President Yushchenko: Godspeed!
Orthodox clergyman: And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation…
Male voice: I’ve brought you some towels.


Opposition leader Yanukovych: I started in the morning — in the morning. So, I’ve never done it in public. At other times, I bathed in the sea. But since there’s no sea around, there’s a little reservoir, and with a calm conscience I do it there, and it’s no problem.

Why be so shy? We'd love to see ProFFessor Sub-Zero in action!

Videos uploaded from:
http://censor.net.ua/go/offer/ResourceID/73885.html http://censor.net.ua/go/offer/ResourceID/73879.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

apart from the swim trunks,that's political Ukraine laid bare

Anonymous said...

My home denomination has asked me to recommend to them the top 5 books that would be helpful to USAmericans going to Ukraine for a week and hopefully who will become committed to continuing relationships with Ukrainians.

Can you recommend this for me(I'm also asking IIU over at her post on books on Ukraine)?

dlw

Taras said...

Staying true to my brand:)

Taras said...

That’s a tough question, since I rarely read English books about Ukraine.

If you’re looking for introductory-level print publications, I would recommend Ukraine: A History by Orest Subtelny. (I read both English and Ukrainian versions of this book in high school.)

I would also recommend Welcome to Ukraine magazine.

This book sounds like a worth read, a “Ukraine for Dummies” type of thing.

I would definitely not recommend Moscowcentric and Ukrainophobic perspectives like Borderland: A Journey Through the History of Ukraine or Language and Travel Guide to Ukraine.

Well, that’s it for today. If I hit upon something valuable, I’ll let you know.